Monday, April 28, 2014

Lessons Learned

JFK was the first leg of my trip to Iceland. JFK is huge.   Don't believe me.  Here's a map.  There is a train that runs between terminals and the NY subway.




These two pieces of information and other various bits of information during the trip that go along with them have made me realize a few things.

If I want to make traveling worthwhile and to do so comfortably, I have to be more organized.

-I booked my flight leg from MIA to JFK departing Miami at 7 am and landing in JFK at 10 am.  This was done to give me enough time to get to the baggage claim, get my baggage, do the check in and security check for my Icelandair flight.  

Small snag.  My Icelandair flight leaves at 8:40 pm.    The counter for Icelandair doesn't open or do check ins until 5:15 pm.  Guess who was sitting their ass bored in JFK for roughly 10 hours?
I was afraid I wouldn't have enough time so I over exaggerated the span of time between flights. I would have been fine with a flight that came into JFK by 3-4 pm.

-As was pointed out to me also by a colleague at work, (*cough* Bob *cough*).  I could probably have tried to book the flights together or work with the companies in some way so that the baggage would be turned into Icelandair by Delta and I could have skipped baggage claim completely at JFK.

Finally, when I got to the hotel, it turns out I could not check in till the afternoon ( 2 pm).  Mind you, I got there at like 9 am so I was about to lose my shit.  I left my luggage at the front desk and took a walk around, went to the grocery store and hung outside for a bit taking in the surroundings for restaurants, bars, etc (pics will come soon).  I also spent some time emailing my parents to let them know I was alive.  I returned around 11 am and my room was ready.  Next time I make sure I add early check in to my travel check list.

NB: Not extremely necessary but convenient.  Whenever economically feasible, I am so going 1st class.

If I want to continue traveling, I need to lose weight.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

The walk from the JFK departure to baggage claim was long and painful. I know I was carrying my laptop bag and my CPAP machine which are quite heavy but still.  It was uncomfortable.  Once I got my large suitcase, moving around was unbearable.  Would it still have been a pain in the ass if I were skinny?  Hell's yeah, don't forget I am lazy too.  However, it would have been considerably less of a challenge.

Then there was the fear of rather being kicked off a plane for being over weight or simply ridiculed. Thankfully, the staff for both airlines (Delta, Icelandair) were extremely accommodating.  Both provided seat belt extensions without being asked (I could take that personally but ummm..yeah) and the Icelandair staff offered me the double seat next to the doors when they found it was available sparing me a very tight fit 6 hour trip.

Finally, there was this GEM I found upon first entering my room's bathroom.  Please keep in mind my "general" size and look at this bathroom and you tell me what could possibly be an issue.

  
 


Yes, I did finally take a shower.   Yes, it did take some creative steps.  I will not post pictures. :P I do have some self respect.

Finally, my legs are killing me.  I've taken my pills and the swelling has gone down but spending almost a full day walking around or sitting in awkward positions has been rather hard on them.  This sucks because if the swelling doesn't go down fast enough I will essentially lose a day.


TLDR: I am too fat and too disorganized for enjoyable traveling.  Gotta work on that.

I have some more stuff to post, like sights, funny stuff. Actually enjoyable events and stuff. I promise that I'll do that later today or tomorrow.