Monday, April 28, 2014

My First Day Traveling...

So first thing. I really hate the train/metro mover in JFK.  It's common knowledge that if you are standing in the metro mover in downtown Miami you have to hold on to something or have very good balance or you will go flying.  I don't think that can even save you on the one in JFK.  That thing takes momentum and inertia to a whole new level.  After having walked like 20 gates in arrivals to the mover to get to the correct terminal for Icelandair, I had to hold on for dear life and pray to the heavens for protection to make sure I didn't topple over and look like a total fool.  The gods were merciful. I escaped jostled but intact.

When I arrived at terminal 7, I was greeted by this advert:


I am sure we've seen similar ones in Miami, however this is just creepy.  Mark of the beast much?   They should have just replaced the QR barcode with 666 and it would have been perfect.

Yes, I know.  My mind works in mysterious ways.

So, I arrived in Keflavik Airport around 7 am, April 28, 2014.  I couldn't ignore I was in a different country.  All the signs were in Icelandic.  Thank God there were English translations or I would never have found the baggage claim.  Everything went smoothly however.  I was outside looking for a taxi cab within 5-10 minutes of arrival.

The ride from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik is about 50 kilometers (roughly33 miles) and takes about and hour.  You go via road 41 shown below:



The scenery was beautiful rocky terrain.  A bit plain but pretty nonetheless. 

Below you can see a geyser expelling fumes in the background.
`


The next two are just the general rocky terrain on the ride to Reykjavik.


 Maybe an Icelandic outhouse? :)



All and all a nice trip.  However it was very expensive.  Like 16300 ISK (Icelandic Kronars) which was roughly like $150.00.  Comparatively, I remember the trip from SAO airport to Sao Paolo proper was like $250.00 (thankfully business trip so company paid) so I guess that's not a horrible price. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to exchange like $500.00 USD to ISK before my flight out.


The hotel I am staying at is called Center Hotel Plaza.  Here it is from the outside:


 As you can see it is regularly stocked with taxis in the front (very convenient)


and there is a nice plaza where I noticed some teenagers tend to skate.


 This is the grocery store where I get my vittles from.  It's a short walk from the hotel.    Yes that is a cute little viking in front.  I have no idea what a KVOSIN is yet.

Even the lichen is pretty in this country.

 Here is the local tourist information center.  Conveniently right next to the hotel.  The Icelandic translation of the word "Tourist Information" has the word "singa" in it. I'll try not to read to much into it.

So did you notice how bright it was out in all the above pictures (not including the initial ones from the ride from Keflavik). Well this is the time they were taken at.  9:05 PM.  Yep, hello to 16 hour days.


Tomorrow, I will probably go to the Phallogical Museum.  There are two people on my list who have earned something from the gift shop.  I will also plan the next two days.  On the list?  Whale Watching, Nature sights. Maybe hot springs.  Will keep y'all updated.